IDFC launches Aadhaar Pay app and as such has become the first bank to launch a bio-metric based payment system app.
- The app uses biometric scans as passwords. This means that users can use their fingerprint or biometric data to validate a transaction.
- Password is not mandatory for this app, but it is mandatory for them to have their Aadhaar number linked to their bank account/accounts to make the payment.
- Charges that are currently charged by card companies such as MasterCard and Visa are eliminated by Aadhaar Pay app.
- This app makes cashless transactions possible even for those who do not have mobile phones. However, the merchant accepting the payment has to have a mobile phone.
- Merchants need to download the Aadhaar Pay app from Google Play store (the app is so far available only on Android phones). Biometric scanner also needs to be installed and linked to the app.
- Unlike a debit or credit card machines which work on telephone lines, this app needs internet connection to work.
- Also as of now, the app cannot be used to transfer funds.
- Currently, users can make transactions up to Rs 10,000 on Aadhaar-enabled payments systems.
IDFC bank aims to on-board approximately 50,000-75,000 merchant to the Aadhaar pay module in the next two years with a total target of touching 1 lakh merchants over the next 3 years.
Lets see how this app turns out to be.