Smile on Wheels is a national level multi- centric programme initiated by Smile Foundation with an objective of providing a comprehensive range of healthcare services to the underprivileged community in remote rural areas and urban slums through an equipped mobile medical vans.
Currently 15 such Mobile Hospital are operational in 10 states of India with 5 more Smile on Wheels to be added by August 2012 end. SoW programme directly benefits more than 5,00,000 people each year.
Health Services Provided:
- The programme focuses on providing wide range of promotive, preventive and curative health services to the beneficiaries
- Smile on Wheels address the problem of accessibility, availability and affordability of health care services.
- Create awareness on personal hygiene, sanitation, disease prevention and childbirth.
- Medical camps, including minor surgical interventions
- Referral services are one of the highlights of this innovative programme. Needy cases are referred to the nearby government facilities.
Each Mobile Medical Van provides the facility of one doctor, nurse, lab assistant, pharmacist, driver and one project co-ordinator.
Smile on Wheels is equipped with all the facility to provide a wide range of primary healthcare services including advanced laboratory facilities (semi auto analyzer and other equipments), x-ray machine with facility of auto film development (processor), ECG, minor surgery, OPD, pharmacy, life support system, TV, DVD, PA System, refrigerator, power back up with digitalized distribution system and air-conditioned vehicle. Smile on Wheels is also equipped with Global Positioning System to monitor the same in real time.
Smile Foundation’s vision through SoW is to provide advance healthcare facilities at the door steps of the underprivileged communities.