Finally we will have something that is going to rival Apple’s iPad. Microsoft launches Surface tablets on Monday, where user will not have to Compromise like other tablets , A tablet will not just be used for watching movies and surfing the Web but much more. Lets have a look at Surface:-
According to Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer “The Surface is a PC, the Surface is a tablet and the Surface is something new that we think people will really love,” emphasizing on the convertible usage model of Surface tablets which is currently missing in all other tablets in the market.
The key thing about these tablets is built-in kickstand and magnetic cover, which also acts as a touch keyboard.
The Surface tablet will come in two versions :-
- Surface with Windows RT (version of Windows 8 designed for ARM processors, it includes the new touch-friendly Metro-style interface)
- A high performance version Surface Pro running Windows 8 Pro.
Surface tablets with Windows RT will:-
- Include a Micros slot, USB 2.0, and a Micro HD port.
- Weigh about 1.5 pounds and be about 0.36-inches thick.
- Have a 10.6-inch screen and come in 2 invariants of 32GB and 64GB or storage.
The Surface Pro tablets will be Intel-based with access to the Metro UI as well as to the fully functional Windows desktop :-
- Will come in 64GB and 128GB versions.
- Have a microSDXC card slot, USB 3.0, and Mini Display Port.
- Will weigh just under two pounds and be about half-an-inch thick.
What is the price of Microsoft’s Surface:-
They did not mention anything about the price of these Surface tablets, however Microsoft said it would be priced like comparable tablets.
When you can buy Surface tablets?
The Windows RT version of Surface is scheduled to come out during the general release of Windows 8, which is expected to be around October. The Surface Pro is expected to be available in the starting of 2013.
Microsoft did not mention anything about the Mobile data connectivity i.e. 3G/4G connectivity.
The first impression of Surface is impressive and its surely going to give some tough competition to Apple’s iPad. What do you think?