Children are active learners rather than passive recipients of information. If a student is provided the opportunity to explore and an optimum learning environment then the learning process becomes joyful and long-lasting. Research too proves that learning which is fun-based and interactive improves learning effectiveness significantly.
Recent advances in multimedia and communication technologies have resulted in powerful learning systems which use instructional video elements and games to enhance learner engagement and thereby improve learning. Despite an ongoing debate on the benefits and risks associated with the use of games for learning, the fact that rapid technological advances are exposing children to television, video games and the internet at younger ages, we believe that there exists a huge opportunity in combining ‘education’ and ‘entertainment’ to drive learning. Education Weekly –a leading voice for research in the field of education in U.S., reports that using technology in a learning environment is especially helpful when students are learning complex topics as it helps to develop higher order thinking skills.
Core to the concept behind Meritnation.com is the idea of making learning easy for school children through the use of technology. We wanted to make learning fun and easy. If the learning process becomes engaging then it is also enjoyable and the learning too is likely to be permanent. This is what we strive to do through the use of a variety of multimedia elements such as videos, animations, games and activities to help a student make his/her way through the difficult concepts with ease.
Unscramble, dragging and dropping to make pairs, finding the odd one out are some of the many formats that we have used to make the element of games and fun an integral part of the curriculum. We will also be soon incorporating 3D modeling and special effects elements in our content to take the process of interactive and self-directed learning to completely new level.
Fun-based interactive activities help to enhance the effectiveness of learning in the following ways:
- Games and activities allow students to play a more active role and this helps to engage them as learners and also motivate them in contrast to situations where the student is a passive learner.
- Study material in interactive game formats help students discover things themselves thereby increasing the likelihood of learning becoming permanent
- Self-directed interactive learning puts a student in control of her learning; when a student can thus control the pace of learning it is far more effective as there is no risk of the student not keeping pace with the teacher
- Online interactive learning activities provide a collaborative learning environment where a student can learn by linking up with peers sitting in distant places
- Rich media and animation help to hold a learner’s attention for a significantly longer time when compared to reading plain text
- Interactive learning environments that provide a student with increased opportunities to explore and interact with the content help to accelerate the learning curve
- Activity based learning encourages a student to become an independent learner
Activity based learning thus can be fun and motivating for students as they are innately drawn to everything that is entertaining, exciting and provides instant gratification.